Many of my clients ask me regarding the big square box from the center portion of the house’s upper floor ceiling behind a set of self-closing louvers. It’s a whole house fan and it may either benefit home owners or make living conditions worse.
* Preferably mild climates with cooler and fewer humid nights
* Make use of it as long as the temperature and humidity outside is much more favorable in comparison to the conditions indoors. Should your air conditioner system has become operating during the day, as well as the temperature outside drops lower (although the humidity remains high), don’t turn the check these guys out. The vent will suck all of the humid air in your air conditioned house
* A good time periods to utilize it would be, needless to say, early morning and evening
If you suffer from allergies, it is probably not smart to bring all the pollution in the house. The window screens will stop several of it, but whole house fans are extremely powerful and can make you sneeze more than ever before.
1. Prior to deciding to turn the fan on, open as numerous doors and windows as is possible, close fireplace damper and / or glass door, and shut the furnace / water heater room doors (if they are louver type, it won’t matter). The suction from the whole house fan (no less than with the highest speed) is so great, that without open windows / doors, it would draw air from the outside through any possible openings like, by way of example, through the chimney. When it is a fireplace chimney and you don’t remove the ashes… well, it’s going to be a mess. When it is a hot water heater / furnace chimney, it might blow away from the pilots.
2. When all things are ready, you may start up the entire house fan and usually throughout the next matter of moments you ought to feel a good amount of exterior air flowing throughout the house. Unless…
3. This part is equally important as opening the windows and doors – both really need to be balanced to work properly in order to really benefit from the whole house fan operation. The environment drawn with the whole house fan has to be discharged with the attic vents to the exterior. Otherwise, pressure created from the attic area will result in air that was just pulled out of your house to come back with dust and insulation particles through any possible gaps inside the attic wh0le and the whole house fan itself.
Regular attic ventilation is probably not enough to aid the click this tumblr operation; you will need far more to hold all that extra level of air towards the exterior. Along with the formula to calculate the square footage of the attic vents required to discharge that air is very simple. You only need the proportions of your rooms:
Example: your ceilings are 8′ high and you will have four 10′ x 14′ rooms, one 15′ x 17′ room, and a 10′ x 3′ hallway (this is merely a sample, calculate every one of the rooms within your house you think should be covered)
10’x14’x8′ = 1120×4 = 4480
15’x17’x8′ = 2040
10’x3′ = 30
Total – 6550 cubic feet
Now you have to divide 6550 by 750, which equals 8.73 sq feet – this is the section of the required attic vents (every one of them combined – soffit, ridge, gable, etc.)
4. If the house you’re getting into has the whole house fan already installed, lets hope it was properly sized up due to its purpose (there could be a tag about the unit itself), which would be to replace your house air within just a couple of minutes.
5. If you’re the one installing the entire house fan, consider 3 or 4 minutes for an optimal time for your house air exchange. To achieve that, you’d need to divide your property total air volume (6550 cubic feet from your sample) by 3 or 4 minutes. That will give us 1810 CFM / 1357.5 CFM (Cubic Feet per Minute).
6. One more important thing: louvers of the Continued usually are not air tight and have no insulation applied on their surface; they leak air in between the house and attic. I would recommend installing a huge house fan cover in attic area to stop air drafts during the cold season – don’t forget to remove it when you use the fan again.
Whole house fans are noisy and lots of people never utilize them, nevertheless they might benefit your wallet should you apply the above. You can find currently other types of house ventilation systems available: they can be more expensive (2 – three times) but very quiet, more effective, and supply air flow for long amounts of time.